1.17.2015

Manix Abrera's 12

First of all, thank you to the constant horde of bus commuters at Megamall that stalled me on my way home last Wednesday night. It was like the Filipino version of Zombie Apocalypse. Because of that I was able to read this silent comic by Manix Abrera which is publicly released three years ago.  The story that won an award (but was later revoked due to technical ruling) stood out as the flagship story for the entire collection of 12 wordless stories printed on glossy paper. My reaction after finishing the book was exactly THAT face of Agent K groping for a sense of deja vu after recovering his memory in the sequel of Men in Black. The stories were indeed good, but partially derivative. I think I saw some of the stories before, but I just could not recall everything where. Migraine Boy? Not sure. I can remember the roach scene from Joe's Apartment. The stargazing moment at the Sunken Garden or Lagoon is always a recurring scene in Manix's stories. I am sure most readers love the girl and her balloon story because it's perfectly sad. I agree.

 I just wish that they printed this on plain paper to reach the general readership. Because the quality would be the same.



Genre: Sci Fi, Urban Fantasy, Humor
Rating: 3.5 drops of distilled "rain"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments here!