8.23.2010

Love, Unrequited

Photobucket

Of all the eleven stories on Love & Pain (including Elbert's interstitials), six got my attention as I enjoyed finishing them one by one that helped me stay awake at midnight. I am not really a fan of romance novels but still, I like those heartbreaking and heartwarming stories as classic and ancient as time itself, this time infused with the modern technique in art and storytelling by artists and writers mostly graduates from UP and Ateneo. The influence of Manga art is very obvious as it surely caters to the taste of younger readers and young at heart in this anthology originally released at the Summer Komikon last April. I got my copy at the Metro Comic Con last Saturday.

I like the Sci Fi love story written and drawn by Ruben De Vela (admittedly, being a Sci Fi reader) but I think the story by Fidelis Tan and Mary Rañises tops them all. It's also worthy to mention the urban horror love story by Yvette Tan drawn by Francis Alcara, and the modern fantasy love story by Kate Osias and Mark Torres that came as close runner-ups.

I give this book three scores for the artwork, and four for the stories for an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5.

Photobucket



Genre: Comics, Anthology, Romance
Rating: 3.5 photographs out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments here!